First post. D:
Mar. 12th, 2010 09:04 pmThis is going to be my project journal. I'll try to update at least once a week, mostly as self-motivation to keep working on things.
In this post I'm going to bring the journal up to date with my primary project. He's the prototype of a 12 inch male fashion doll I'm calling Peter. Well, hopefully he'll be that size. Being a prototype I'm much more interested in developing his jointing and getting used to sculpting again.

This is a few weeks of progress. Normally I only work on him for about half an hour at a time when I stay at work over the lunch break.
In the beginning there were a lot of really bad phone cam pictures. (laugh) Sorry.

His head was originally part of a small bust of a fighter pilot. Metal is less expensive than putty and using this meant I didn't need to set up any sort of armature. I had to shave off the helmet of the original figure with a dremel and then I redid his eyes and nose with green epoxy putty.

More work was done on his face - mouth, chin, cheeks, ears - in ProCreate putty (what any of the gray putty from now on out is). Then I asked a favor to have him pressed to mold and cast up in metal so I could better decide on jointing without risking losing all the work I've done so far.

I decided that the torso of Reaper's Skeletal Giant would be the perfect armature. His neck was removed from his head. In between this and the next photo I did a whole lot of carving out his head in trying to make a removable head cap so he could be strung through like most Asian Ball Joint Dolls. I failed at that part, but I learned one good "thing not to do" and can most likely make it work easily next time.

I started to flesh out his chest and gave him some bangs.




More working on his chest and shoulders and the sides and back of his hair. The first photos with a real camera.



I finished his hair and then gave his head a quick prime and paint. It isn't the final neck joint design I want to use so this particular head won't be pressed for metal.
This is where I'm going to leave off the front of his torso for now. Next I need to start fleshing out his back and then make his hip joint.
In this post I'm going to bring the journal up to date with my primary project. He's the prototype of a 12 inch male fashion doll I'm calling Peter. Well, hopefully he'll be that size. Being a prototype I'm much more interested in developing his jointing and getting used to sculpting again.

This is a few weeks of progress. Normally I only work on him for about half an hour at a time when I stay at work over the lunch break.
In the beginning there were a lot of really bad phone cam pictures. (laugh) Sorry.

His head was originally part of a small bust of a fighter pilot. Metal is less expensive than putty and using this meant I didn't need to set up any sort of armature. I had to shave off the helmet of the original figure with a dremel and then I redid his eyes and nose with green epoxy putty.

More work was done on his face - mouth, chin, cheeks, ears - in ProCreate putty (what any of the gray putty from now on out is). Then I asked a favor to have him pressed to mold and cast up in metal so I could better decide on jointing without risking losing all the work I've done so far.

I decided that the torso of Reaper's Skeletal Giant would be the perfect armature. His neck was removed from his head. In between this and the next photo I did a whole lot of carving out his head in trying to make a removable head cap so he could be strung through like most Asian Ball Joint Dolls. I failed at that part, but I learned one good "thing not to do" and can most likely make it work easily next time.

I started to flesh out his chest and gave him some bangs.




More working on his chest and shoulders and the sides and back of his hair. The first photos with a real camera.



I finished his hair and then gave his head a quick prime and paint. It isn't the final neck joint design I want to use so this particular head won't be pressed for metal.
This is where I'm going to leave off the front of his torso for now. Next I need to start fleshing out his back and then make his hip joint.
no subject
Date: 2010-03-13 03:33 am (UTC)